The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) offers a number of educational benefits to veterans. This page contains information and links on how to use your veterans benefits at our university.

GI Bill® Options

There are multiple GI Bill® benefits and each is different. We recommend that you compare your options using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool on the VA website. These tools can help you calculate your benefits, research approved programs, and determine eligibility.

In addition, you can view more detailed information on the following programs:

  • The Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill®
    If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after September 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
    The MGIB-AD program—sometimes known as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to Veterans and Servicemembers who have at least two years of active duty.
  •  Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
    The MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
    REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress.
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
    VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. The government matches your contributions on a 2-for-1 basis.
  • Survivors and Dependent Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
    Offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Steps to Using Veterans Benefits

  • null

    Apply for admission to our university

  • null
  • null

    Submit your application for benefits

    Visit to submit your application for benefits. The site will prompt you to complete the appropriate form 22-1990 (first time VA applicant) or 22-1995 (returning VA applicant).

    Enter this information in the Full Name and Address of School field:
    Iowa Wesleyan University
    Attn: Registrar
    601 N. Main Street
    Mount Pleasant, IA 52641

  • null

    Watch for your VA certificate of eligibility (COE)

    Watch for your VA certificate of eligibility (COE). You will receive a letter from the Veteran’s Affairs office about your chapter, benefits, percentage, and yellow ribbon eligibility. (The VA certificate of eligibility (COE) will come in the mail about 30 days after the VA receives your application)

  • null

    Scan, Email, or Deliver a copy of the the letter to the Register

    Email or deliver a copy of the letter from the Veteran’s Affairs Office to the Iowa Wesleyan Registrar. Email

  • null

    Contact your Enrollment Advisor and register for class

    Contact your Enrollment Advisor at or 319-385-6208 and register for class. If you use the Montgomery GI Bill®, the VA will pay you directly meaning you will need to self-pay during registration or use the payment plan option to defer payment until after you receive payment.

  • null

    We will submit verification of your enrollment to the VA

    We will submit verification of your enrollment to the VA after the drop period for your course(s).

  • null

    Re-verify your enrollment

    You will need to re-verify your enrollment on the last day of each month you are enrolled in class.

  • null

    Adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a class can affect your VA benefits

    Please note, the actions of adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a class can affect your VA benefits. Please contact the Registrar’s Office if you add, drop, or withdraw from a class.

    To contact the Registrar’s Office, please see the information below.
    Sammi Messenger

  • null

    Choosing VA benefits and Federal Financial Aid

    Students who choose to use their VA benefits along with Federal Financial Aid will need to work closely with the Financial Aid office to report VA benefits.

    Financial Aid Office